This week saw the baker’s bread-based abilities enriched with advanced dough.
Sneaky tactics were employed during the technical as Nancy got a rise out of Paul, doubling her dough in a microwave – dangerous!
We loved the delicious doughnuts – particularly Luis’ alcoholic offerings and the hidden swirl breads elicited more than a few gasps of surprise and pangs of jealousy (we are now firmly sat in Chetna’s camp).
This week our Nutritional Therapists have decided not to try and compete – opting instead for a delicious, simple (and quick!) fruit cake – hey, we have nothing to ‘prove’!
Super simple Gluten and Grain free Fruitcake
You will need
- 100g dates, chopped
- 180g almond flour
- 100g raisins
- 100g dried cranberries
- 100g chopped walnuts
- 4 eggs (to go egg free, add 60g applesauce, 1 tbsp flax seeds and 3 tbsp water)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp orange or lemon zest
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 greased mini loaf tins
What to do (it’s so easy!)
- Preheat the oven to 180o
- In a big bowl, mix the almond flour, salt and baking soda
- Stir in your dried fruit and nuts
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs (or egg substitute) oil, honey, orange zest and vanilla
- Combine the wet ingredients with the flour mix
- Divide the mix between the two greased loaf tins
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 – 30 minutes (to test, place a clean knife in the loaf, if there is wet mix on it when remove it needs more time.)
- Cool on a wire rack and serve with an afternoon cup of tea.