By Sal Hanvey, one of our Nutrition and Culinary specialists, who has a real passion for finding ingredient substitutes and alternatives for those with food intolerances, or allergies, without compromising on nutritional value or taste.
Pumpkin is rich in antioxidants which are great for immune boosting this autumn. It is also rich in beta-carotene, fibre and Vitamin C.
Autumn Spiced Pumpkin Soup
2 tbsp of butter or olive oil,
Rock or Sea Salt, pepper to season
3 garlic cloves crushed
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 and 1/2 tsp Curry powder
3/4 tsp Ground cumin
3/4 Ground coriander
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
Pinch cinnamon powder
1 litre Stock (I use Yeast free Marigold Bouillon)
3 bay leaves
3 tbsp Double cream (or yoghurt or vegan cream)
*3 cups of pumpkin purée (see below)
*Cut medium pumpkin in half. Scoop out the seeds (keep a few for garnish) and take out stringy bits. Place on a baking tray on tin foil and oil face down and roast for 45-1hr at 180c and then when done, scoop out pulp and hand blend to a purée. Done.
- Peel, chop and Fry the onion for a few minutes in the oil.
- Then peel and chop and crush garlic and add it in.
- Add the ginger and the spices and bay leaves and the chopped finely carrots and pumpkin pulp.
- Then a cup of water and stir.
- Then add stock.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 mins.
- Remove the bay leaves, blitz with a hand blender and stir in the cream. Result.
Irish Soda Bread
450g plain flour
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
400ml Butter milk
- Take flour and baking soda and salt and stir together in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the middle and add the buttermilk and mix together with your hand. Be careful not to over knead.
- Pour out mixture into a floured surface and knead slightly and take your hands as if you were going to lift the dough but form a circle, make a cross, and then flour a baking sheet and transfer to a baking tin and bake for 30 mins approx and allow to rest before serving.
For nutritional information, the Pumpkin Soup is free from:
The Irish Soda Bread is free from:
Sal says: “This is a real easy recipe and the food speaks for itself. Enjoy!”